April 15, 2013

"Profession" or "Hobby Job" ?

Can a hobby turn into a profession ? Yes, it can... If you could turn your hobby into a profession it would be the best job in the world. We all have hobbies but do we plan to turn them into professions ? At what point in life do we realize that we are not made for a regular job ? 

Image source

Now the other side of the coin is - not everybody gets this opportunity and not every hobby can turn into a "job". It requires utmost dedication, hard work and a fire within also called as passion. It's truly inspiring to see how so many great personalities or celebrities start off with this small passion to turn it into a highly rewarding and satisfying job.

At one point of my life, I turned down professional studies just so that I could avoid hostels and continue staying with my family. But that never happened. The family talked some sense into me and I spent the next 3 years away from family studying towards my profession. Hobbies existed in side line but it never occurred as a job.

Once studies were complete, the long relationship with my professional job began. Even then, I could not think of any other alternate job to replace my professional job because let's face it - at the end of the day we always dream of a high-paying job. Hobbies were an integral part even then, in order to keep myself de-stressed and mindfully fit. :)

Over the years, I noticed that my hobbies slowly and steadily yearned to take centre stage. And I also observe more and more number of my friends adopting dual roles - their regular "9-to-5" job and as an entrepreneur to work on their interests. The best part is that even though they are progressing towards success with baby steps in the entrepreneurial role today it definitely projects brighter avenues for the future. Other advantages of this dual role are -
  1. They can stop their regular job when needed or resume from a break whenever they wish
  2. They get to earn both ways
  3. Bigger satisfaction
Now I wonder if I get an opportunity to redefine my profession, should I step out of the comfort zone and give it a shot or continue to look for higher job prospects for what I studied and gained experience all these years ?

So tell me, if it was you, would you prefer a professional job over your "hobby job" ?
 photo Signature2016_zpshf23y4i0.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment