November 12, 2012

Happy Diwali 2012

Can't believe it's a year already and here I am posting about Diwali again. If you missed my earlier post on Diwali in 2011, here it is.

When I think of Diwali, my memory takes me back to my childhood in Bahrain. It was mummy's responsibility to take care of the sweets every year. There were some that were made at home and some that were purchased from the local South-Indian hotel. Baby bro and I would sneak into the kitchen and start eating them even before the festival day. :) Aah the days when you could gorge on dozens of sweets and not worry about weight or pimple issues. "Calories" ??? Whatever that meant or however it spelt back then. :p Too bad, the old metabolism rates have disappeared into thin air.

Diwali is never complete without new clothes. Shopping for new clothes and jewellery starts days ahead. On the day of the festival, we would wear the new attire and go to the temple.

I know I have said it here before and I will say it again. I love making the "Rangoli" for Diwali and this is the most interesting part that I always look forward to. Eager to reach home after school to start the rangoli, I would keep wondering what design mom had chosen for the year and what colors need to go into the design. Once at home, a quick lunch and it was time to spend the next 5-6 hours at the doorstep or the stairway surrounded by colors of different hues.

The men of the house - Daddy and baby bro would stop by occasionally to judge the effort. Actually, when I come to think of it, I remember my baby bro would pool in with mom and me to help us. As usual, he always ended up fighting with me over how much area I could have to fill colors and how much area he could have. Nevertheless, he always got bored in the first half hour and walked away to play. The moment when he walked away was always, sheer bliss ! :p

Diwali, in India, was a totally new and refreshing experience too. Twelve years back when I moved from Bahrain to India, I was sad that my childhood was being left behind but little did I know that it would open doors for many other opportunities and possibilities and one such opportunity was "celebrating festivals".

In few places of the Middle East, we are not allowed to fire crackers in public. In India, this experience has been different. As kids, baby bro and I missed this fun. However, on the other hand, we have never gone over-board as well.

Although we refrain from purchasing noisy rockets or large crackers due to the pollution it can cause, every year we do make it a point to celebrate with some for sure. Years have gone by, but the charm of the festival still amazes me and what I miss most on this Diwali is the company of my family and loved ones because that is what makes every occasion even more special.

Here's wishing you all and your families a very Happy, Prosperous and safe Diwali ! :)

Snaps of this year's celebration - 






 photo Signature2016_zpshf23y4i0.jpg

2 comments: