August 4, 2016

Charged as guilty

Source

The first time, I lay my eyes on you, I knew we were meant to be together. 

I mean, who wouldn’t love you ? 

The first time I held you, was more challenging and unlike anything else I had done before.

I assured myself saying everybody feels weird the first time. 

As time passed, I took care of you - constantly checking on you, ensuring you aren’t extremely hot or cold, keeping you clean everyday, protecting you from every tiny scratch possible.

There were accidents intermittently but I learnt to take care eventually. 

Oh! How proud I felt to show you off to the entire world. The bright beaming look on my face and the happiness in my heart to say that - “You were mine!”

And then, one day, when I woke up, you were gone. I felt as though a sudden fear had engulfed me in it’s claws. Frantically, I searched for you all around the house. 

Then I wondered - “Did I lose you forever?”

But my fear was short-lived as you re-appeared within seconds.

Nestled in the soft hands of my two and half year-old daughter. 

She looked up at me with an understanding face and innocent eyes. She held you with both her hands carefully, just the way I did, and it showed on her face how much I loved you and cared for you.

Gradually, she walked towards me and looked into my eyes. I kneeled down trying to reject that ugly feeling deep down in my stomach which made me feel sick. As I lowered my head in shame, my eyes welled up. 

Lovingly, she extended her little arms towards me, she said - “Amma, here’s your phone. “

At that moment, it dawned upon me that my relationship with you, needed to change. I felt like a thief who was caught red-handed for a crime but wasn't punished.

I threw away my smartphone and wrapped my arms around my little one. As embarrassed as I was for ignoring quality time with my precious one, she saw how a small gadget had become a big part of me. I needed that wake-up call. I needed her to teach me this lesson.

Don’t stare down at your phone, people. Look up and notice the people standing there waiting to see your face. 

Did you ever have a hard-hitting experience which made you realize that - 
"Life is beautiful" ?

**Linking with Day 4 of the #BarAThon Challenge  from 1st to 7th August 2016**

Yours' truly,

 photo Signature2016_zpshf23y4i0.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Aww..Such things are only natural to happen. How we get so engrossed in our devices and forget what's happening around us!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! You got me. I thought you were talking about your new born child. :D
    A small incident like this makes us realize where our priorities lie! A thoughtful and thought provoking piece for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this on a bigger screen. Does this count as well?
    But yes, its daunting how people are forgetting what's important and just in front of them. A wake up call, perhaps to each and everyone.

    Great post, btw. :D

    ReplyDelete